Experts are learning that early diagnosis and therapy in children with autism can have a significant effect on the outcome. Read the CNN article on “Early therapy can change brains of kids with autism.”
What are some of the signs of autism?
Children with autism generally have problems in three crucial areas of development — social interaction, language and behavior.
The symptoms and severity may vary greatly between two children with the same diagnosis, but here are a few signs to look for:
- No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions by nine months
- No babbling by 12 months
- No back-and-forth gestures such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving by 12 months
- No words by 16 months
- No meaningful, two-word phrases (not including imitating or repeating) by 24 months
- Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age